du.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • chicago-author-date
  • chicago-note-bibliography
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Confirmed vivax resistance to chloroquine and effectiveness of artemether-lumefantrine for the treatment of vivax malaria in Ethiopia
Dalarna University, School of Education, Health and Social Studies, Medical Science.
2011 (English)In: American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, ISSN 0002-9637, Vol. 84, no 1, 137-140 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

Chloroquine (CQ) is still the drug of choice for the treatment of vivax malaria in Ethiopia, whereas artemether-lumefantrine (AL) is for falciparum malaria In this setting, clinical malaria cases are treated with AL This necessitated the need to assess the effectiveness of AL for the treatment of Plasmodium vivax with CQ as a comparator A total of 57 (80 3%) and 75 (85 2%) cases treated with CQ or AL, respectively, completed the study in an outpatient setting At the end of the follow-up period of 28 days a cumulative incidence of treatment failure of 7 5% (95% confidence interval [CI] = 2 9-18 9%) for CQ and 19% (95% CI = 11-31 6%) for AL was detected CQ resistance was confirmed in three of five CQ treatment failures cases The effectiveness of AL seems lower than CQ, however the findings were not conclusive, because the AL evening doses were not supervised

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2011. Vol. 84, no 1, 137-140 p.
National Category
Clinical Medicine
Research subject
Hälsa och välfärd
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:du-10457DOI: 10.4269/ajtmh.2011.09-0723ISI: 000285903800025OAI: oai:DiVA.org:du-10457DiVA: diva2:542752
Available from: 2012-08-03 Created: 2012-08-03 Last updated: 2015-06-16Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Other links

Publisher's full text

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Bergqvist, Yngve
By organisation
Medical Science
In the same journal
American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
Clinical Medicine

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

Altmetric score

Total: 577 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • chicago-author-date
  • chicago-note-bibliography
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf